Registration Appeals Committee
The Registration Appeals Committee is a statutory committee established under the Ontario College of Teachers Act. The committee is an objective, fair and transparent appeal body for applicants and members. It reviews and makes decisions on appeals from applicants who were not granted membership in the College or who had terms, conditions or limitations (“TCLs”) placed on their Certificate of Qualification and Registration (“certificate”).
- when an applicant is denied certification and requests an appeal of the Registrar’s decision, the committee may make an order directing the Registrar to issue a certificate, to issue a certificate if the applicant fulfils requirements specified in the regulations, to issue a certificate subject to specified TCLs or direct the Registrar to refuse to issue a certificate;
- when a member requests an appeal to remove or modify the TCLs imposed on his certificate, the committee may make an order refusing the appellant’s request, directing the Registrar to remove any TCLs or directing the Registrar to impose specified TCLs on the certificate.
The committee’s work ensures applicants are treated fairly and maintains public confidence in the decisions the College Registrar makes on behalf of the teaching profession. The committee considers appeals in both English and French.
The committee received 28 appeals in 2017. The majority of these appeals were from applicants denied certification (18) as opposed to appeals from College members certified with TCLs (10).
In 2017, the committee met nine times and rendered 21 decisions. The committee undertakes a paper review or may hold an oral presentation at the request of an appellant. A total of eight appellants made an oral presentation to the committee in support of their appeal and a further 13 were reviewed as part of a paper review process.
Reasons for Appeal in 2017 (decisions rendered)
|Appeal a condition on a certificate
|Teacher education program not acceptable||5|
|Teacher education program along with academic and/or language proficiency||1|
|Academic degree not acceptable||2|
|Language proficiency as a primary reason||0|
|Both teacher education program and language proficiency not acceptable||2|
|Professional suitability: committee refused to conduct a review||0|
|Appeal Outcomes||Decisions Rendered|
|Original decision upheld
|Original decision overturned||2|
|Original decision modified||1|
- Brian Beal, OCT (e) (Chair)
- Jean-Luc Bernard, OCT (a)
- Elizabeth Edgar-Webkamigad, OCT (a)
- Myreille Loubert, OCT (e) (Vice-Chair)
- Sara Nouini, OCT (e)
(a) = appointed
(e) = elected